SGI Special License Agreement
All the legacy code is under the SGI Special License Agreement and not available. Binaries are available as FREE-WARE for Linux (intel) platform. However we are in the process of changing the license to BSD 3-Clause, but it is complicated.
All new code under the MaXX Interactive Desktop Project is under a BSD 3-Clause License and is available at https://gitlab.com/maxxdesktop
The special license below was put in place back in early 2000s between SGI and myself in order to allow the implementation of a SGI Desktop clone without risking any legal repercussions and copyright infringements with SGI. No SGI Desktop specific source code was shared nor given to me by Silicon Graphics. Most of The MaXX Interactive Desktop code is reverse engineered and built from scratch or adapted/improved based on existing open-source code, all by Eric Masson over many years.
The MaXX Interactive Desktop, also known as “The MaXX Desktop”, is based on the SGI Indigo Magic™ Desktop for IRIX® under limited license from Silicon Graphics, Inc.
The MaXX Interactive Desktop for Linux, 5Dwm, The MaXX Interactive Desktop, MaXX Desktop, MaXXdesktop, MID, MaXXmonitor, MaXXlauncher, MaXXsettings, MaXXscope, MaXXvue, MaXXlinks and 5DWM are trademarks of Eric Masson. All Rights Reserved.
Copyright © 2005-2022, Eric Masson
The Indigo Magic™ Desktop, including its look and feel, is a copyright of Silicon Graphics, Inc. and is provided under a limited license to Eric Masson.
All other uses of SGI copyrighted material included in the Indigo Magic™ Desktop without the express written consent of Silicon Graphics, Inc. are prohibited. Indigo Magic™ is a trademark of Silicon Graphics, Inc. (now HPE) All Rights Reserved.
The term "legacy code" used in this license is defined as any source code, scripts and supporting text files used to generate executables, libraries and configuration files used by the 5Dwm window manager and the SGI Motif™ look and feel.
Redistribution and use of the MaXX Interactive Desktop (legacy code) in binary form only, without modifications, is permitted provided that the following conditions are met:
1) The limited license from Silicon Graphics, Inc. (now HPE) permits The MaXXdesktop to be deployed and executed ONLY on the following Linux platforms; x86, x86-64 and IA-64.
2) Redistribution of "legacy code" is not permitted due to the limited license from Silicon Graphics, Inc.
3) Redistribution in binary form MUST retain this license document content in its totality in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
4) Neither the name of MaXX Interactive Desktop, MaXX Desktop, MaXXdesktop, 5Dwm, MaXXmonitor, MaXXlauncher, MaXXsettings, MaXXlinks, MaXXscope, MaXXvue nor the names of its contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived from any of those software and technologies without express written consent from Eric Masson.
5) Due to current limited license with SGI (HPE) a formal written redistribution request must be submitted and approved by Eric Masson prior to any public redistributions.
Note that, as provided in this License, the MaXX Interactive Desktop is distributed on an “AS IS” basis, with ALL EXPRESS AND IMPLIED WARRANTIES AND CONDITIONS DISCLAIMED, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES AND CONDITIONS OF MERCHANTABILITY, SATISFACTORY QUALITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NON-INFRINGEMENT.
INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED.
IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT OWNER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
For more information on how to use or redistribute The MaXX Desktop, email us at: eric dot masson at maxxinteractive dot com.
The MaXXdesktop team